Derek’s Dope List #1
- Cool utility to tell if your Java app is stalling because of your code or the JVM?
- Free Java Fundamentals Course videos
- Some useful new Hamcrest matchers for collections
- Want to know what’s taking up all the memory in Chrome? Paste this into a new tab:
- Linking to content within a Google Doc (think table of contents)
Derek’s Dope List #2
- Good series on T-SQL basics
- OWASP has some great “cheat sheets” on web security. (via Adam)
- With all the XSS stuff lately, an ASCII table has been really helpful
- How to adjust your automobile side mirrors
Derek’s Dope List #3
- Java apps have most flaws, Cobol apps the least, study finds….
- Java deep cloning using serialization or JSON
- Not sure what Spring SQLFire is, but it looks interesting
- Oracle Releases Java 7, Java 6 Updates
- Future of Java – slides from JavaOne
- Java SE: Rebuilding the Momentum (Java 7 and Java SE 8: Features and Plans) – slides from JavaOne
- A scripts navigator was just added to Chrome. Click on the mock image to see it.
- Want your own custom View-Master reels? For those too young to remember…
- Trillion frames-per-second video
- Google Zeitgeist 2011
Derek’s Dope List #4
- Find Out How to Open That File Type with Wolfram Alpha
- Introducing dabblet: An interactive CSS playground
- Microsoft will push automatic updates to Internet Explorer, starting January 2012
- “Yo Momma” computer science jokes
Derek’s Dope List #5
- Next version of Chromium branch
- IntelliJ IDEA 11.0.1 Release Candidate
- Type let it snow into Google. Use the mouse to clear it.
Derek’s Dope List #6
- New Year’s Resolution: How to Learn PowerShellin 2012.<rant>If you don’t know PowerShell, Java developer or not, start learning it now! You are officially behind the curve. Version 3 is already around the corner with a CTP release available now. It’s not just for admins either. I use it every morning to get my latest OHM source in two branches, check the changes for the previous day (in both branches), and get a list of all checked out files. And it only takes less than a minute to run. I have a script that automatically kills IE and restarts it for XSS testing. I have another script that scans a Visual Basic 6 project file and finds all the component references and displays their version and path. You could write Agent Ransack with a few scripts if you wanted to. I have another one that gets your BIOS info. And on and on… Don’t open a cmd prompt – use a PowerShell prompt instead. I can do a presentation for you guys when Andrew and I eventually make it down there or sooner by Webex if wanted.</rant> Phew!
- The Persistence Layer with Spring 3.1 and Hibernate
- The Spark micro framework – this seems very cool!
- You may have heard that Ubuntu was removing Java from its distribution. Here’s the real story.
- Microcontroller Development with NetBeans
- Exploit Tools Armed To Attack New Java Flaw
- Deployment with Amazon’s Elastic Beanstalk
- What is the difference between a shim and a polyfill?
- Updates on HTML5 and CSS3 – ton of cool stuff!
- Star Wars snowflakes!
Derek’s Dope List #7
- Run this to get a searchable list of all drivers on your system:
driverquery.exe /v /FO CSV | ConvertFrom-CSV | Select-Object ‘Display Name’, ‘Start Mode’, ‘Paged Pool(bytes)’, Path | Out-GridView
- James Gosling is working at a new company making robotic wavegliders that take a ton of instrument readings about the ocean. Follow their path to Hawaii!
- Great Oracle presentation on Lambda expressions coming in Java 8
- I actually never read the Agile Manifesto, so here it is!
- Image optimizer add-in for Visual Studio
- For those lucky enough to have a Kindle Fire (Jeff!), there’s an update
- This is how Dads explain the world to kids
- The Hobbit trailer!
- The Dark Knight Rises trailer!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Derek’s Dope List #8
- codr.cc is a collaborative coding pasting site
- Really cool site on HTML5 & CSS3 Readiness
- Case Study: Building the Stanislaw Lem Google doodle
- I will convert your Excel data into one of several web-friendly formats, including HTML, JSON and XML.
- Cool update to yesterday’s driver query example – basically grep your drivers
- Backing Up a SQL Server Database Directly Onto a Remote Server
- Great article on why we should be using FindBugs in OHM. If Google and eBay use it, then it’s usually not a bad idea. Intellij has a few FindBugs plugins, but I’m not sure if there an officially sanctioned one. I’ve been usingQAPlug (which also contains Checkstyle, Hammurapi, and PMD), but there is also this one.
- ‘Cotton Candy‘–Android computer on a stick
- Steve Jobs just won a Grammy. Does Tupac know this?
Derek’s Dope List #9
- Intellij 11 Favorites tool window
- Top 10 JavaCodeGeeks posts for 2011
- Testing Email Notifications with Apache James 3.0 – locally with no internet!
- Flyway is database-independent library for tracking, managing and applying database changes
- Getting started with PowerShell and SQL Server
- 3D Optical Scanning Makes 125-Year-Old Records Sing
- Goto , click on Get Directions, click walking directions, enter “the shire” for A, enter “mordor” for B, and click Get Directions.
Derek’s Dope List #10
- IntelliJ IDEA 11.0.1 bug fix release
- IntelliJ IDEA for Spring Integration 2.0 Patterns – still not a Spring expert by any means, but this looks cool
- Guava Release 11’s IntMath – great collection of math functions for just ints
- Guava Presents Java Throwable Stack Trace as Single String
- Hamcrest Tutorial – always good to review the basics
- 11 Things every Software Developer should be doing in 2012.
- Flexible Work Schedules Promote Better Health, Study Says
Derek’s Dope List #11
Java – Guava!
- Filtering and Transforming Java Collections with Guava’s Collections2
- Guava Stopwatch
- Guava Preconditions Class
- Guava’s Objects Class: Equals, HashCode, and ToString – very sweet simple code!
- Guava’s New Optional Class
- State of the Browser: Chrome closes on Firefox, IE6 dying out. Always good to see what we need to support.
- Interesting add-in for debugging
- Google android market tops 400,000 applications. Look out Apple!
Derek’s Dope List #12
- Latest SQL Injection Campaign Infects 1 Million Web Pages. It’s called ‘Lilupophilupop’, but I’m not exactly sure what makes it differ from others…
- DZone’s Top Articles of 2011
- Running Java applications on Microsoft’s Azure cloud
- Cross Browser HTML5 Progress Bars In Depth – tons of working examples
- JsFiddle Tips And Tricks
- Java ME passes Android as number two mobile OS
- Microsoft Documents Windows 8’S Best Features: PC Reset And PC Refresh – Finally!
- Notepad++ 5.9.8 official release
- Controlled on a Wipe’Out Track
Derek’s Dope List #13
- Java EE 6 vs. Spring Framework: A technology decision making process
- Guava Functions & Java 8 Lambdas
- March Trial Set for Google-Oracle Throw Down – Android vs. Java?
- CSS Lint v0.9.2 now available
- 17 Excellent Google Chrome Apps You Need To Download
- Live web cam of Abbey Road. For you young’ens that the famous road crossing on the Beatle’s album of the same name.
Derek’s Dope List #14
- Java tops list of software skills in demand: employer survey – sweet!
- NetBeans 7.1 Released – Looks like quite a bit change for the better
- Writing a Custom ConfigurationSection to handle a Collection
- There’s an actual framework called Chuck Norris! It contains components like roundhouse, dropkick, and uppercut – seriously! I wish I could figure out a way to use it in OHM…
- Scott Hanselman just created a new web site for public speaking and wrote a great article on having the website visible on desktop and mobile. Great tips.
- Chrome beta release updates
- Case study: How & why to build a consumer app with Node.js
- Copy and paste this script into a text file, saved it to Documents\WindowsPowerShell as Get-ExchangeRates.ps1:
#Exchangerate feeds : http://www.ecb.int/home/html/rss.en.html
$xml = New-Object xml
$rv = 1 | Select-Object Date, Currency, Rate, Description
$rv.Date = [DateTime]$_.Date
$rv.Description = $_.description.’#text’
$rv.Currency = $_.statistics.exchangeRate.targetCurrency
$rv.rate = $_.statistics.exchangeRate.value.’#text’
- Open PowerShell and type .\Get-ExchangeRates.ps1 and you should see a list of exchange rates.
Derek’s Dope List #15
- An activity diagram to describe the resolution of the response status code, given various headers. Need to print this!
- Awesome Screenshot: Capture & Annotation directly from Chrome. Might be helpful for those screenshots to QA…
- Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects into boards. It won’t replace TFS, but Joel Splosky has created a really compelling product!
- Chromium update – Media Fragments, Performance and MediaElementAudioSourceNode
- Fix Common IE Problems: Update your Docmode for Web Standards
- Apache TomEE, pronounced “Tommy”, is an all-Apache Java EE 6 Web Profile certified stack where Tomcat is top dog.
- Oracle’s latest Java moves frustrate users and vendors
- From Java to Node.js
- Conveniently Processing Large XML Files with Java
- Barcode Software integrates Java programming library.
- Amazing interactive Flash animation of how AES security works!
- DateTime.UtcNow is generally preferable to DateTime.Now
- C# 5.0 Async explained as simple as possible🙂
Derek’s Dope List #16
- Profiling CPU in Flash and Flex Applications in IntelliJ IDEA
- Kotlin Web Demo is out! JetBrains’ new JVM-based language is out and ready for testing. Of course they created a language, I mean it’s sooo easy…
- Google launches style guide for Android developers
- The PowerShell Morning Report – cool summary of your system (or a remote system), well… in the morning
- Windows PowerShell Cheat Sheet
- jQuery UI 1.8.17 Released
- Adobe® Photoshop® Simulator – I guess you need to use Photoshop to appreciate it…
- Send to Kindle Windows app!
- Auto-detecting Credit Card Type
- Awesome HTML5 web search
- Bringing Cut the Rope to Life in an HTML5 Browser: Behind the Scenes
- Visual Studio pseudovariables – never knew about these!
- Advanced Debugging in Visual Studio
- How to Write Your Very Own QR Code Generator in C#: Part 1 – for Jeff
- Grant Fritchey’s SQL Server Howlers
- Hostess Brands, Maker of Wonder Bread and Twinkies, Prepping Bankruptcy Report. My brother and I used to divvy the Twinkies box up and hide them from each other to make sure we got an equal amount. I remember my Mom telling us that she found a box of Twinkies hidden in a closet months (years?) later. I bet they were still good…
Derek’s Dope List #17
- IntelliJ IDEA 11.0.2 EAP – That didn’t take long. I hope we don’t get too far behind!
- Killing the myths about java
- Crazy cool 3D web site – just check it out
- The 50 Best Chrome Web Store Apps
- Web sequence diagrams – cool UI
- Latest Chromium and WebKit updates
- Tilt: Cool Firefox extension that turns a page into a 3D view to see the CSS layers
- Visual Studio 2010 Extensions Recommendations
- Visual Studio Achievements – XBox-like rewards for using Visual Studio!
- Keymaps for ReSharper
- Google’s Good to Know